Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Alex, Trans Ally said "its like the Shallow Hal thing. I dont see people on the outside, I see them on the inside. I cant see why people cant do that"

Last week at my school, Towson University, the LGBT Development Center hosted the Transgender Awareness Week.

Some of the events were:

Katelynn Cusanelli

Transmasculine Panel

Drag Make-Up Workshop

Trans 101

Vigil to Transgender Victims

Two of the events that I went to were Katelynn Cusanelli and the transmasculine panel.

And I want to focus on this panel for today, because somethings that were said there just moved me and I cried like a baby. There were four individuals representing there and one was half Asian and I could relate to that because I'm Asian. There was a male who had top surgery. There was a hate-crime survivor. And there was an ally to the trans community.

What I found that was really beautiful about them is there, they were different and the same all at once. They knew what hardship is like. And what I found that was beautiful was that they never gave up. They were there to talk to us, to move us and to educate us and I was sooo blessed to be there because they showed courage and a will of fire to never give up. They showed true survivors and true activists.

Many might think that why is this important to this blog... isn't this blog suppose to be about being comfortable in your own skin? Well this is what that is about, these individuals are learning to be comfortable in their own skin and that going from female to male is not easy but they are doing it. They are becoming who they are and who they were meant to be and that is beautiful.

Also, what I found moving, if you dont care about the rest, I'd love it if you read this. The ally, her name is Alex, she is a lesbian who's been helping with the Trans community for awhile. And what I fell in love with was...

Alex said that its like the Shallow Hal thing. I dont see people on the outside, I see them on the inside. I cant see why people cant do that.

I wasssssssss moved because I thought, wow... that is beautiful. She said that she's always been the bigger girl and that when she saw that movie, she cried. I mean, when you are not in that position, you dont know what its like. But I believe that we are can relate to this. For myself, I'll admit it, I'll judge people on what they look like on the outside. But for her to come out and say that, it just taught me so much and I feel like thats amazing.

She saw her friends going through all of this, she could have turned her backs an them but she didnt. She loves them for who they are not what they look like and that is the beautiful thing I've ever heard. I was sooooo blown away.

And we can relate to that because she was so real and such a human. We're not perfect and she sees the beautiful inside which is something that we are looking for everyday. I wish that I could be like her. She changed me from that night truly.

And if any of you four from the transmasculine panel are reading this, I just want to say thank you. You have changed my life in sooo many ways that I'd never imagined. Because of you four, I feel like I am more beautiful. And that I will start to look at people on the inside more.

Thank you all for changing my life. It was an honor truly.

And to those that are reading this, people who are following my blog and my group on facebook, you guys really are my inspiration to keep doing this. You have noo idea what it means for me to talk about these things. I feels amazing when I get a message like

"just wanted to say that your group couldnt have come at a better time. it was really nice to see something positive and self inpowering when your down."

"i want every one to love themselves too. thank you for making this group. it makes me want to continue what i have been working on here. i appreciate your existence."

"I know that I really don't know you but I'm a proud member of your group and am going to invite everyone I know. YOU are the hero!! :)"

Thank you all!!!

Here's a video... a word of encouragement from Jelissa Jaconi. It doesnt just apply to trans people, but to everyone. Live your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment